About the Local Renewables Web Portal
The Local Renewables Portal has been developed for REN21 by ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability.
The web portal is organized as such:
- It includes information on renewable energy sources, applications and policies at the local level - in addition to supporting technologies such as smart grids and energy storage and policies for those elements; and
- It presents local actions, policy and processes that provide guidance to local governments in the planning and implementation of energy plans which include renewable energy. These good practices serve as examples for local governments seeking to incorporate renewable energy in their municipalities.
Aims of the Portal
- To serve local governments and their partners in reaching higher levels of generation and use of renewable energy, and in the more efficient use of energy - as a relevant contribution to energy security, climate protection, and local economic development.
- To share the knowledge and experiences local governments from around the world have gained with renewables.
- To provide the guidance local governments seek in meeting their renewable energy targets and goals
- To share with others interested in renewable energy the contributions local governments have made toward becoming sustainable communities.
- To include information on all global regions and all themes within the renewable energy sector.
The Portal will be updated regularly and all users are invited to submit relevant information to improve the website by using the input form on the Contact page.
The Portal's Partners
REN21 - Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century
REN21 aims to foster policy development for the rapid worldwide expansion of renewable energy. REN21 is a global policy network that links stakeholders from the energy, development and environment sectors together to share ideas and encourage action on renewable energy, through acting as a forum for international leadership on renewable energy. www.ren21.net
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
ICLEI is an international association of local governments as well as national and regional local government organizations that have made a commitment to sustainable development. ICLEI provides technical guidance, training, and information services to build capacity, share knowledge, and support local government in the implementation of sustainable development at the local level. Their basic premise is that locally designed initiatives can provide an effective and cost-efficient way to achieve local, national, and global sustainability objectives.
The principal themes of ICLEI are sustainable energy, climate protection, adaptation, urban governence, sustainable management and sustainable procurement. All these activities strongly contribute to ICLEI's Local Renewables Initiative. www.iclei.org
ISEP - Institute for Sustainable Energy Policies
The Institute for Sustainable Energy Policies (ISEP) is an independent, non-profit research organization, founded in 2000 by energy experts and climate change campaigners. ISEP aims to provide resources and services to mainstream sustainable energy policies. To reach this aim, ISEP engages in a wide range of programs and activities, including: providing sustainable energy policy recommendations to the Japanese government, guidance and advice to local municipalities, liase with a broad spectrum of organizations worldwide to enhance exchange, and staging a diversity of events. www.isep.or.jp/e/Eng_index.html